I adapted this recipe from a non-paleo recipe I found on the website Goddess of Scrumptiousness
Anytime I mix chicken and spaghetti squash in my house, we usually have a hit. Throw some garlic gravy in there…winner, winner, chicken dinner!
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 2 pounds chicken breast fillets (skinless and boneless, sliced into 1 inch chunks)
For the chicken marinade:
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped (if using dried, use half of the amount)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt (not table salt)
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (to sauté the marinated chicken)
For the garlic gravy:
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon organic butter or ghee (or animal fat if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped (to sprinkle/finish the pasta)
- 2 cups whole cherry tomatoes
- Add all the marinade ingredients into the chicken and marinate for anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place both halves cut side down on a baking sheet. Add 1 cup of water to the pan. Bake for approx. 30 minutes. You will know when it’s done when the shell “gives” a little when you press on it. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Scrape out the flesh with a fork (should look like spaghetti noodles) Set aside.
- Sauté the marinated chicken in coconut oil until cooked (about 4-5 minutes) then set aside.
- Place sauté pan over medium heat and add 1/4 cup butter and coconut oil.
- Sauté garlic until fragrant and soft.
- Add almond flour and cook for a minute.
- Add chicken stock and coconut milk and simmer gravy until thickened (about 20 minutes) When the gravy appears thickened, add the 1 tablespoon of ghee to help thicken it a little more.
- Add the spaghetti squash into the gravy and toss with the chopped basil.
- Add the sauteed chicken and cherry tomatoes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes to soften the tomatoes.