This dish is a favorite of my husband’s. In pre-paleo days, we loaded it with cheese! I have to be honest- I don’t really miss it. It has so many other flavors, that you can really appreciate when they aren’t underneath a mound of cheese. This dish freezes great. Just freeze the peppers after you grill them and before you put the marinara sauce on them. When you are ready to cook them, take them out of the freezer, put in a casserole dish, smother with Marinara sauce and cook at 350 degrees F for about an hour!
Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- 6-8 poblano peppers
- 1 1/2- 2 lbs. Italian sausage
- 1 jar Marinara sauce (I like Trader Joe’s Organic Marinara…just make sure it’s low sugar and gluten free!)
- Olive oil
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise. If you want some added heat, leave the seeds in. Otherwise, scoop the seeds out of each half. Place in a 13×9 casserole dish.
- Stuff peppers with Italian sausage. I buy the links and then just squeeze it out!
- Heat grill on medium heat. Place peppers meat side down on grill. Grill about approximately 8 minutes. Then flip and grill another minute. Make sure you use a metal spatula! The meat will not stay in the peppers very well!
- Place peppers in casserole dish, cover with Marinara Sauce and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve hot!
Note: I double this recipe for my crew! If you’re family is smaller, you could still always double it and freeze half like I talked about above.