I usually like to make a nice, big breakfast on Sunday mornings. It is the one day out of the week that I have a little extra time, so I’ll experiment with new paleo breakfasts. Since our church service time got pushed later, it really has become a lazy Sunday morning. I pulled this one out of one of my cookbooks, and decided to tackle it. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy and quick it was to make! I literally had breakfast on the table in about 15 minutes! In my opinion, the other plus of this recipe is that you only use eggs for the crust! No coconut or almond flour involved! There is also no sugar added- the only sugar is what you get from the berries. I only used blueberries this time, but I’ve tried it with a combo of blueberries and blackberries. I thought the combo was great, but the kids didn’t seem to like it as much. If you really want to turn this breakfast into a treat, top it with whipped coconut milk*!
Berry Pancake Pizza
- 3 tablespoons unsalted organic butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 cup berries (I usually prefer blueberries)
- 4 large eggs, separated into whites and yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Heat butter in a 10 inch oven-proof skilled over medium heat. Add berries and simmer for 3-5 minutes so the liquid begins to thicken.
- While berries simmer, use electric mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg yolks, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk for 1-2 minutes by hand.
- Gently fold the yolks into the egg whites (Don’t use a metal spoon!)
- With the heat under the fruit still at medium, spread the egg batter evenly on top of the fruit. Cook 2 minutes without touching, then transfer the pan to the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the batter is puffed up and lightly browned.
- Remove pan from the oven. Place a plate over the pan and flip the pan to invert the souffle so the fruit is faced up. Eat warm or at room temperature.
*To make whipped coconut milk: Place can of full fat coconut milk into fridge overnight. The next morning, open the can , and scoop out all the thickened coconut milk. Make sure to leave the water (you can use this in a shake or recovery drink). Whip the thickened coconut milk in a bowl until begins to thicken. Use in place of whipped cream. Yum!