We have a little pond in our neighborhood. It’s not very deep and it freezes very quickly in the winter. Well, they cleared it and we now have a personal skating rink, free of charge, right across the street. My hockey-loving son is in heaven! We spent the entire day out there on New Year’s Day! This was a new experience for me. I had never been pond skating before, but we had a blast! I knew I was going to need to make a dish that night that would warm us up quickly. What better way than with a pot of chicken chili. This is pre-paleo family favorite that I converted.
It is delicious paired with this Bacon Jalapeño Bread!
White Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (4 oz) cans green chilis, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 (32 oz) boxes gluten-free chicken stock
- 3 or 4 (12.5 oz) cans White Chicken chunk meat (I use Trader Joe’s canned chicken, read your labels! Some canned chicken has some nasty stuff in it) you could also use 3 cups of leftover chicken cubed.
- 1/4 cup coconut cream*
- Saute onions and garlic in the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat until onions are transparent, about 10 minutes
- Stir in chilis, cumin, cayenne pepper, and oregano, sauté 2 more minutes
- Add chicken stock. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook 30 minutes.
- Stir in chicken. Be sure to break apart large chunks. Simmer another 30 minutes.
- Add coconut cream. Stir until melted.
- Serve topped with avocado chunks. Yum!
*Note: If you don’t have coconut cream, you can use full-fat coconut milk instead.